Job vacancy: IPES-Food communications officer
The International Panel of Experts on Sustainable Food Systems (IPES-Food) is looking for a full-time communications officer to join its secretariat in Brussels.
Read the full vacancy here.
Working with the IPES-Food secretariat and panel members, the Communications Officer will amplify the visibility of IPES-Food’s work to a range of audiences (including civil society groups, media, and policymakers), helping to cement IPES-Food’s reputation as an authoritative voice in food system discussions around the world.
- Devising and implementing a general communications strategy for IPES-Food, and communications plans for report launches;
- Drafting press releases, op eds and newsletters, and ensuring regular social media outputs;
- Managing and updating the IPES-Food website;
- Expanding existing audiences and targeting new types of actors;
- Expanding & updating the media database; handling media enquiries and making contacts with journalists for report launches/public events;
- Breaking down IPES-Food reports into short spin-off products (e.g. briefs, blogs, videos);
- Monitoring global debates on food systems, and identifying opportunities for using those debates to amplify IPES-Food’s messages.
- Minimum 2-3 years experience in a full-time, policy-related communications role;
- Fluent written and spoken English, and high proficiency in French (Language skills will be tested at interview);
- Master’s level qualifications in a relevant field (e.g. Communications, Journalism, Media Studies, Political Science, Development Studies, Environmental Science, Food & agriculture-related topics);
- Good working knowledge of relevant global policy debates (e.g. on food security, climate change, biodiversity, sustainable development, GMOs, biofuels); proven ability to grasp complex issues under time pressure;
- Proven ability to write and communicate clearly on complex topics;
- Proven ability to prioritize a range of different tasks under time pressure, to co-develop strategies with colleagues, and to work autonomously on delivering them;
- Extensive knowledge of/familiarity with collaborative work programmes and information-sharing softwares (e.g. Dropbox, Google drive & Slack) and online communication tools;
- Personal and professional commitment to sustainability, and an open mind about how we can get there.
- In-depth knowledge of food systems;
- Extensive experience of communications roles;
- Fluency in French, and proficiency/fluency in other languages (esp. Spanish, Portuguese, German, Mandarin);
- Knowledge of data protection rules; experience of managing email servers;
- Knowledge of EU institutions, European politics and Brussels-based media.
- Competitive salary commensurate to experience, includes 13th month, 25 days vacation and other benefits (meal tickets, transport costs);
- Fixed-term contract (CDD) of 12 months with extension foreseen;
- Short-term travel (2-3 times per year) required for panel meetings and key events;
- Possibility to homework from other locations for up to 1 week per month.
How to apply:
Candidates must send the following documents to email@example.com by midnight CET on 5 September 2019 (email header: NAME - Comms Officer application):
- CV, 2-page maximum.
- Cover letter, 1-page maximum, explaining the candidate’s motivation and qualifications for the job.